Friday, March 16, 2012

Bye, Bye Binky!

Toward the end of January Makell decided she was ready to give up her beloved binky. This is big step for her because she LOVED that binky. We pretty much only let her have it in the car and in her bed and she stuck to that rule pretty well. She would get so excited when she would get to have it, I was actually kind of sad to see it go. When we would tell her we were leaving to go somewhere, she would get a huge smile on her face and practically yell, "Yay! I get to have my binky in my mouth!" She said that to me a few days after she gave it up and it almost broke my heart to remind her that she didn't have her binky anymore.

So here's how it went down...

For several months before she gave it up, I would tell her that binkies were for babies and ask her if she was ready to give hers to the babies. She would tell me no and I would drop it. Well one Saturday night, I asked her if she was ready to give up her binkies and thrown them away and she looked at me and said yes. I told her okay, go throw it in the trash. She walked right to the garbage can and threw it away. She cried for it for about 10 minutes that night, asked for it just a few other times and all I had to do was remind her that binkies were for babies and she threw hers away because she was a big girl. She would say, okay and be fine. We did struggle for about two weeks while she learned to put herself to sleep without it but we are over that now and she is back to being a superstar bedtime goer. We're so proud of our big girl!

Ode to the binky

...While keeping warm
...While playing
...While chillin' with Dad
...While watching movies
...While in the car
...While sleeping

No comments: